07 July, 2005

The Hermit King of Swords Talks: Closer, Jung and the Cosmos.

[Previously unreleased]

WARNING: Do NOT read if you're easily offended when your dogma comes crumbling into your hands, if you awake thinking about the next lie to make your life bearable, if you've lost the sense of wonder when you see the world slowly plunging into a new dark age or if you just are too lazy to think and try to look for truths hidden in the madman's speech.

Please, save me the trouble.

For those who remain, I'm broadcasting to all stations, reply at your own risk and feel free to not talk to me again if you just don't like what you see.

I'm high on workload, jadedness, a good movie and a rocking tune I'm branding in my brain looping it on winamp.

I'm fucked up, and I like it.

"I sincerely appreciate your honesty" its an unlikely phrase in a movie where everybody gets laid with everyone else (or mostly everyone else) and revenge, pity, horny and savage fucks are well implied, never shown, but very well described thou.

And in a sense, this phrase makes up for all the movie.

I'm the least experience person here to know about this, once again I'm fucked up, but like the hanged man seeing death near in the tarot, and the prince who acts with no fault in front of his people, I've practiced at least a couple of those principles in the never ending cycle proposed by the plot of this movie. Cycles, interesting thing that comes to me head now, since the singularity point can be so near and so far right now...

Technoshock, Singularity point, two presidents ousted in a day, inmediatecy of information, double CPU processing power every 18 months, Bioethics, a new ex-Nazi Pope, go ahead google it.

It's interesting that you read a little of a topic and you think you're a master of it, but I do have Jung close to my heart: reconciling myth and self is a daunting, ethical work that gives something that people have forgotten in the western world: Meaning (yes, with a capital M). Westerners have the problem of separating, giving exact pockets of thought to different parts of the Cosmos (I like this term better, it more holistic). Easterners are more about coincidence, something Jung called synchronicity.

And what does this have to do with Closer?, nothing at all, I'm just amazed you're still reading.

Closer is about one person, one self. Earth, wind, fire and earth are the terms I use, they're simpler than Ego, Shadow, Anima and Animus, but then again, defining those is like asking Phaedrus to define Quality. There are opposites and fellows (?), there are relationships within opposites and interaction with fellows, "honesty" is such a dirty word in this movie as a teenager explaining how he masturbates to his surprised parents.

Earth?, Anna. Highly receptive, totally embracing. I'm amazed how amazing she looks in this movie without glitter or face, an Autumn woman sitting in the breeze. Alice and her alter ego, whomever that is, embrace wind: highly mental and cynical, did she ever felt in this movie? anyway, she disappears and reappears like, guess what, the wind thru a summer-hot corridor in a house with no back-yard. In opposition, they are slut and mother, angel and paradise, movement and settling point.

Guys are more fun to write and less hurtful, Doctor (since I've laughed so hard hearing his parliament, I don't even know his name) has the Jungian fire in him, think of him as the wand in the tarot and the intuition function in Jungian psyche, the is driven by grief, by revenge, by love, by reckoning but he's always witty and resourceful.

[Personal space to admire this character and the actor who personified him.]

Then again is Jude Law, who like cup of water flows from one love to another, highly emotional, makes all the mistakes and get all the girls, just to fuck up again. It's sad, it's horrible, it's beautiful and cool at the same time.

There you go: Ego, Shadow, Anima and Animus. Sort them yourselves, I have to work tomorrow and I'd like to stay sane after writing this.

Finally, "I love you" is said more time than tea is served in the movie (and its shot in London!), the stupid notion that this phrase means anything after the first 45 minutes of the movie is hardly bearable, a shot in the heart for romantics who shout in the darkness of cyberspace songs about no one (projection people, it's called projection). And there the notion of Jungian, eastern philosophy, determinism, chaos theory and comes together in the most wondrous way because you see, after all this I've said:

I don't get the movie.

I don't get it, I'm so fucked up that I don't get why they just don't kill their egos, leave the system and look for a new chance, but no, they stay and struggle with the same again, again and again. Like Odin hanged with the three Crows, like the arcana with the square up and the triangle down (numerology people, numerology!), like an addict staying on and off the fix (btw, this is my fix).

So, "I love you" is (and I declare it MUST) be stripped from it's "forever" implicitly, it must be assumed that is a notion of here and now, and that it doesn't guarantee more than that. "Forever" is the static principle that allows entropy to destroy something that is beautiful just by dying and being reborn time, and time again.

Sincerely appreciating you honesty,

César X / NetDragon / Kaiser Xavier / the Hermit King of Swords and the Knight of Wands.

No comments: